Giving Aix-en-Provence a Big Hug

simply put, my adventures: good, bad, new, french, exciting, terrifying, enlightening... whatever they may be
My photo
New York, and currently France
I'm a junior and a music major at Barnard College spending the Spring 2010 semester abroad in Aix-en-Provence at the AUCP (American University Center of Provence). I can't wait to share everything that I experience! However, regular updating is contingent on my internet availability...

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

10 Days Left.

Yes, I realize it has been a while. I have been so caught up that I forgot that I had a blog!! Yeah, I know, excuses are great. Anyway, I can't believe that this is all winding down, my finals are next week, and I need to start thinking about how big the extra suitcase I need to buy will be.

Tomorrow we have our "Grand Spectacle" for our Theatre class and our art class. Naturally, I would be excited about this. However my paintings look like children's art work and our Theatre teacher, Jean Claude, has only rehearsed one of my scenes once.

When I was in 1st grade I was a French artist for Halloween because that was my aspiration at the time. How strange an aspiration, since not only was it achieved at the age of 20, but my artwork is so bad that it looks like it actually was from first grade. In addition, in spite of Jean Claude's lack of time management and the same black tight pants he has worn since the first week that leaves unfortunately nothing to the imagination, the Theatre spectacle should be really fun since we're essentially laughing the whole time. Let me set the scene: the opening sequence is us walking around in costume to Viva La Vida. Yes, yes, and yes. I am also pumped to meet all of the host mom's after hearing stories about their promiscuous ex-husband's or over indulged cats.

Another thing that just happened, was the Grand Ball last saturday! It's publicity ad called it "The Night of Grand Prestige" with 10 ambiances, 10 rooms, and many bars. The Grand Ball was at the engineering school where most of us have our language partners/ex language partners/rock and salsa class, and it was essentially prom part 2. Minus the dates, because everyone just kind of goes. Minus the prom drama (PROMA copyright Evan Schwartz), because everyone just kind of goes. Like I always say, the proof is in the pudding, and if the pudding was a conglomerate of pictures, we had a grand ol' time. It was fun seeing our "friends" from Rock and Salsa class, since they generally don't take us seriously anyway. We also ran into every person we knew from our 4 month cluster of French friends. This part of the night was 50% incredible, 25% awkward, and 25% classic Aixoise.

I am so sad this is all coming to a close, but I still have 10 more days to really "sink my teeth into." My french has gotten better, so much so that I actually dreamed in French last night... or so I think. I remember having a dialogue with someone in French, and the person kept saying to me "I don't understand what you're saying!" So yes, I dreamt in French.

Thursday I'm going to Cassis, which is a beautiful town facing the Med Sea. I had been taken there a few months ago when it was a little cold, but I get to go again when it is warmer. The first time was still beautiful but second time's a charm. And then FRIDAY we're going to Cannes to check out the film festival and do some exploring... you know, the things we do best. I am so excited about Cannes. When I was in 8th grade, my mom got me a sequenced tank top that said "Cannes," and I remember saying "MOOOOOOM WHAT'S A CAN? WHAT DOES THIS SHIRT MEAN?" I'm glad that when I was 13, after having been exposed to the film world more or less, I was still so well rounded. Speaking of well-rounded, when I told Craig I was going to Cannes he said: "Like in Entourage?" I love my brother.

Hopefully this rain in Aix will stop. Hopefully the volcano will stop. Hopefully I can get home in 1o days.

No comments:

Post a Comment