Giving Aix-en-Provence a Big Hug

simply put, my adventures: good, bad, new, french, exciting, terrifying, enlightening... whatever they may be
My photo
New York, and currently France
I'm a junior and a music major at Barnard College spending the Spring 2010 semester abroad in Aix-en-Provence at the AUCP (American University Center of Provence). I can't wait to share everything that I experience! However, regular updating is contingent on my internet availability...

Friday, January 22, 2010

One Week Anniversary

It has officially been one week since I left for Aix!!

Hier soir, we went out for a thursday night on the town. Firstly, we found a bar where one could order 8 shots for 12 euros! At the time, there were 8 of us so its not like I had them all. If that had happened, I would not be writing this right now. After that, we attended this bar that has a special for international students Thursday's.... free shots between 10 and 12, anyone? And at 12 DJ Fox arrives! But we decided to leave before then.

Then after that, we somehow crashed the birthday party of someone named Nicholas, and we were lured in by a singer qui s'appelle "Joseph Papino." He wore a sequin hat, danced like Russell Brand in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, sang like Ricky Martin minus five, wore clothing like Danny in Grease in white, and sang Madonna, Barry White, and "Celebrate." These things exist. France is a wonderful place. Joseph sang and seduced, and here were 8 American students dancing with many many 50-60 year old French men and women. There was one guy who must've been in the mafia because his chapeau was really too much to handle.

After a lovely dinner tonight, we went to another bar.... mind you, we speak in French the whole time. But somehow, somewhere, everyone still knows we're American. We are speaking your language, people. Cut us some slack. I was also able to demonstrate to some of my new friends the importance of changing your name when someone ugly or creepy starts to talk to you. Tonight my name was Charlene.

Also today was the day we met our language partners. Super chouette!!

I love this place more and more every day. Happy One Week Anniversary, France!

1 comment:

  1. charlene, i miss you. this blog makes me laugh out loud. also, barnard IS a raisin. wrong post i know, but well said.

    ReplyDelete