Giving Aix-en-Provence a Big Hug

simply put, my adventures: good, bad, new, french, exciting, terrifying, enlightening... whatever they may be
My photo
New York, and currently France
I'm a junior and a music major at Barnard College spending the Spring 2010 semester abroad in Aix-en-Provence at the AUCP (American University Center of Provence). I can't wait to share everything that I experience! However, regular updating is contingent on my internet availability...

Friday, March 12, 2010

Children

So today I finally started my community service. I'm working with 8 year-olds, and today was their version of Carnival at the school so everyone was in costumes. First of all, hearing children speak in French is absolutely adorable; I could not stop smiling, and I loved every moment. Going to college in New York City has really numbed my feelings about children, and every time one walks by I generally feel annoyed. However, I think that is just New York City children... because these children made me elated.

The theme for my class was pink and purple (I don't get it). All of the girls dressed up as princesses, and all of the boys dressed up as girls. Maybe this is why French men are more in touch with their metrosexual side than American men. Because everyone was getting into costume, it wasn't a real class day. So while the teacher helped some students, the rest ran around and were drawing on the chalkboard.... she didn't even care!! I remember being 8 and sitting in class thinking how COOL chalk was and how I WISHED my teacher would let me draw on the chalkboard.

When I return next week, I get to teach a lesson in English about New York and I don't know what to do yet. At least midterms are over. That is a relief. Time for some fievre Aix... bring it on.

And Happy Birthday Katy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment